Tuesday, December 21, 2010

God the Mother?

So yesterday I went to Walmart to get some much needed American supplies. While attempting to find chapstick I was approached by this sweet looking korean lady holding a bottle of Axe. She asked me if I'd ever heard of God the Mother... I actually have heard this crap before 2 years ago at Tysons corner. What was weird about this lady is she was actually shopping too. The first time I experienced this, the woman talking to me and my friend had a clipboard and other people walking around the mall.

So the deal is some Christians don't accept that God is male. They say God made Adam and Eve in his own image. Well that works for Adam but how did he come up with Eve? As a feminist, I find this concept interesting. I would say patriarchy has teamed up with Christianity to screw women over once more. I mean how can we refute that if God is a man, then men must be powerful. God isn't a woman, so women must be followers. A couple of posts ago I talked about how Eve's punishment was to obey Adam, further proof that Christianity is based in patriarchy. Not only did Eve screw up and eat the Apple, now she/women is not to be trusted. She always needs the supervision and support of a man.

I feel like in their own special way, this group is fighting patriarchy. So I do support them. Although (and for this I'm going straight to a Hell I don't believe in) when she asked me if I wanted to learn more I said, "Sure." When she asked if I'd come to Bible study, I said "Yes I will." She said, "great, what time?" I said, "Wednesday at 5!" I'm not going....

No comments:

Post a Comment