Friday, January 7, 2011

The Tudors

This is a slightly less annoyed post. I love these!

I've begun watching The Tudors and so far I am not disappointed. If you've read The Other Boleyn Girl, you know that sex is just everywhere. King Henry VIII had lots and lots and lots of sex. And good sex for that matter. There was a saying to encourage wives to submit to sex with husbands they didn't love and who didn't think to please them. Women were told to "Lie back and think of England." Well these women with Henry seem to being having a wonderful time in bed and not in a faking orgasm type way.

But that's not why I'm writing about it. So this chick, Bessie Blount, was one of the kings mistresses. There's a scene in which Bessie comes into Henry's room and as he begins to touch her he asks, "Do you consent?" To which she breathes, "Yes, Majesty." Then he rips off her clothes. I must admit I creamed my jeans a little at this. Nothing sexier than a man who asks first, yea?

Second was Henry's friend is caught having sex with the daughter of a powerful man in court. He runs to the King and demands punishment for the man who ruined his daughters honor. Henry says there will be no punishment unless the daughter cries rape. I swoon! Now I may be ignorant but I'm not sure they took rape too seriously back then. Now I may be giving the show too much credit, but for me this scene here tells me that if this woman had cried rape, there is a chance that Henry would have taken her seriously.

Come to think of it I feel like rape would have been a huge issue amongst women of important families. Virginity was such a commodity that if it was stolen, it would be a great grievance to the family already unfortunate enough to include daughters.

So yes, I think I'll stick with this show for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment