Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Give Me Everything

New song I heard on the radio tonight. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

There's not much to the lyrics and only about half of them are disturbing.

So lines like "for all we know we might not get tomorrow, lets do it tonight. I will love love you tonight" are really quite sweet. I like the idea that we should love now.

I think where it gets creepy is when he starts talking about loving as in have sex with, which starts with "grab somebody sexy, tell 'em hey, Give me everything tonight"

I don't like the idea that sex requires women to "give" everything. If we give everything, we are left with nothing. We constantly talk about sex in these terms. Women give it up, men get some. Men never give anything. I don't blame them so much for these lyrics though. It's a common way to talk about sex so I guess ignorance is not the worst crime.

But it gets even worse with "Excuse me but I might drink a little bit more than I should tonight and I might take you home with me tonight"

So hopefully he's not thinking he's going home with her no matter what she says, but I think it's a generally bad idea when anyone goes out thinking they'll get a little too drunk and then fall into bed with someone. I'm not saying I've never done that or that it's always going to result in date rape, but it's a distinct possibility. And glorifying it in song does not help anyone.

Also he says he's "desperate tonight." So not good... To me, a desperate man means a violent man. I guess that's because men have to continually prove their masculinity. I mean they are always in danger of being feminine (insults for men are "little bitch" "Fag" "pussy") So if a big way men can prove their manliness is sexual prowess, what do you think happens when they are desperate to do so? I don't know about you, but I won't go home with a man I don't know who is desperate to have sex. That's just such a turn off. So what happens to the man who can't prove his masculinity through sex? He seeks to prove it with physical strength.

(Obviously this is not true of ALL men. Of course I know plenty of good men who don't buy into this bullshit. This is just what I'm interpreting from this song)

So another line starts off really sweet, "Reach for the stars and if you don't grab 'em at least you're on top of the world" then gets creepy, "Think about it. Cause if you slip I'm gonna fall on top of you girl *haha*"

What? Not if you slip I'll catch you, if you slip I'll land on you. So I'm interpreting this in two ways. One men are always higher than women. They will always have more power and more money and more status than women. So even if women are on top of the world, men will still be one step higher. But I don't think this song is smart enough to make such a social statement.

The other way is if she slips up, he'll take advantage. I'm getting that more from the sinister sounding laugh at the end of the phrase.

Anyway. I don't think I like this song. Sucks too cause the melody is great and Ne-Yo has a lovely voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment