Monday, April 4, 2011

Anti-Choice

So the other day I had an interesting conversation with an anti-choicer I work with. She was asking me questions about why I believe abortion is a legitimate option for pregnant women. I told her I don't believe a zygote is a human until it is able to survive outside the womb. She began spouting Pregnancy Crisis Center lies about when the baby can actually be born and when organs are fully formed. It's been bothering me so instead of writing my dance paper I was looking up a real timeline of how a baby develops in the womb.

What I find most distasteful is the bit about the fingernails. Now I hated the movie Juno because I think it's really dumb and shows an incorrect version of what teen pregnancy is really like. I think though there is a touch of validity to it. So there's a scene in which Juno goes to an abortion clinic to take care of her pregnancy and she runs into a pro-life classmate with a poster. The classmate claims her baby already has fingernails and Juno decides not to abort the baby on the basis that her baby could scratch her insides... Well nails don't even appear until week 20 and they don't extend beyond the fingertips until week 37. As much as I don't like this movie, it has accurately shown the flat out lies anti-choicers will spew in order to manipulate vulnerable, pregnant women. What the hell?!

No comments:

Post a Comment