Monday, August 16, 2010

Jenny Craig

So my summer job is over. Now my mornings are spent doing what I used to, watching lifetime in my bathrobe. And with lifetime comes stupid commercials aimed towards depressed housewives and bored college students. The most offensive today is Jenny Craig.

Diets are a business opportunity. It is estimated that the diet industry alone is worth anywhere between 40 to 100 billion (U.S.). CEOs of these companies are rolling in money made from false promises and dangerous drugs. While Jenny Craig doesn't seem to be peddling parasites in pills (oh yea, it's been done), we can see from kirstie alley's yo-yo weight that it doesn't stick once you leave the program.

But my big problem today is with the newest commercial featuring Sara Rue. I was multitasking (on my computer and watching tv!) when the commercial came on. All I heard was a female voice talking about how she was so insecure about her body that she was afraid to leave the house. Now me in my naiveté looked up expecting it to be an ad for eating disorders. For a second I thought the before picture would be of a too skinny women who was so consumed by her body image issues that she sought help. No such luck. Apparently Sara Rue has lost 50 pounds while on Jenny Craig and feels great. I am so disappointed.

Why don't we stop telling women they should be embarrassed by their weight and start telling them to enjoy life, no matter their size!?! It is truly ridiculous the amount of effort people put into making women feel bad about themselves. I hate it. It needs to stop. I mean what the fucking hell?

No comments:

Post a Comment