Wednesday, September 29, 2010

St Agnes

Today I felt restless so I put on some music and went to the British Museum to wander around. I found myself in a room of Medieval Europe looking at coins and armor. But the thing that caught my eye was this golden cup with painted scenes of St Agnes. I thought I might share her story with you all cause it's a great one.

So this chick Agnes was, like most women, told to marry this old guy. She refused and so she was sent to work at a brothel. Now being the good catholic girl she was, she did not consent to having sex with anyone who came in. So one day this guy comes in, pays his money and tries to rape her. Surprisingly this demon comes out of no where to strangle him for his crime. She, being a good catholic girl, forgives the man and brings him back to life. The people of the town cry WITCH and have her burned at the stake. The flames don't burn her because she's not a witch so this random guy spears her in the throat, which does kill her.

tada! great story to paint on a gold ceremonial cup yea?

No comments:

Post a Comment