Wednesday, October 20, 2010

shame on you Glee

I never EVER thought I'd ever have a bad thing to say about Glee. With all their wonderful work with homophobia I can't believe they'd allow this sort of publicity

http://nerve.com/scanner/2010/10/19/glee-stars-go-full-on-sexy-in-the-locker-room-for-gq

Actually, take that back. I can believe it. Anyone who knows feminism knows we fight homophobia and heterosexism like it's our business. Because it is our business. But not all gay rights activists are feminists. It's tragic really. We're all fighting the same system of oppression. It's not like patriarchy allows lesbianism! There's a reason why feminist and lesbian are used in the same sentence to deter women from women's rights activism. But for some reason even Lady Gaga shrinks from the F-word: http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2010/03/11/is-lady-gaga-a-feminist-or-isnt-she/

Anyway, I love you Lea Michelle and Dianna Argon but seriously I can't believe you'd do this. I respected and admired you. Such talent, I would die to have made such success with musical theatre. You all had such an opportunity to be successful female singers without giving in to the terrible objectification but you didn't. You all pooped on that.

I was chatting with some new feminist friends of mine about an Newton quote. He said "we are like dwarfs standing on the shoulders of giants." Basically that means the greatest male minds of the time had a detailed history of academia to go off of. Women have no giants. Sure those of us that look for them can say Alice Paul, Florence Kennedy, Toni Morrison, Jane Austen, and others. But you have to dig to really know how wonderful these women were/are. Instead this is what we see from women we respect. This is what is reported. We are constantly reminded that the best we can hope to achieve is to pose half naked with a man.

It's not fair. And I hate it. And while it won't stop me from watching Glee (because.. come on.), I do seriously wag my finger at their press agents and hope they all get sacked. What the hell?

1 comment:

  1. What I think is interesting is that the girls are wearing basically just their underwear but Cory Monteith is completely clothed.

    Although i wouldn't place all the blame on Lea and Diane. I highly doubt they had much choice in the matter. Any press is good press and I'm sure their producers insisted. As popular as they are, they're still actors and as such they're just the pretty faces, the real decisions come from the people behind the scenes. Yes, perhaps they could have refused, but I doubt their producers would have liked that.
    -Glen

    ReplyDelete