Thursday, June 10, 2010

Braces

So most of us had braces. It's a pretty normal rite of passage. But the more I think about those two years, the more I realize what a sick and twisted procedure it is.

I hated my orthodontist. He was a sadistic asshole who seemed to take great pleasure in hurting me every single time I went in. Braces are ridiculously painful corsets on your teeth to change the way they look. I don't know about your teeth, but mine were fine. I mean they were "ugly" but they worked. All braces did was change they way they looked and not even significantly. But still I went through two years PAINFUL years of not being able to chew food and I WANTED this. How sick is it that we WANT braces? We are told over and over again by those "happy" smiling people in the commercials that braces will change our lives! I mean think about it! How many of us thought we'd be happier, more popular, more outgoing, ect ect ect once we got our braces off. How often was this true? Braces didn't do a damn thing for my self-esteem so what the hell did I suffer for?

What the hell?

2 comments:

  1. I love you sis but try it for 4 years of a retainer, expander, moving my teeth to make space for a fake tooth then closing the hole again, and rubber bands, then talk you can about pain. haha see you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you compared braces to corsets for teeth. It's an exactly right comparison, they're painful, and for the most part, purely for aesthetic reasons.
    I had braces for 4 years because my mom didn't want to have a false tooth installed in my lower jaw. All they did was make my bottom teeth crooked and cause endless pain. My kind, caring orthodontist died 2 years in and I got a cold, clinical sadist as well.

    ReplyDelete