Wednesday, June 23, 2010

That's why I don't date abusive men

Ok I may be nitpicking here, but I truly can't stand these words: "women who get themselves in abusive relationships" (cassandra chavez of So you think you can dance)

No women goes out and looks for a man she thinks will hit her. Women do not get themselves in these "situations." Women get caught in the middle of these men. Men who batter are sick. They are diseased and need help. (also jail but that's another issue)

If I can give some advise to anyone who wants it: if your partner ever gets abusive (and i mean physical, verbal, emotional, sexual, anything), Leave. I swear you can come stay with me. The first time. Leave.

1 comment:

  1. Though I see your point, I will say that people (men included) do have tendencies towards certain types of people. Some are attracted to the type who cheat on them, others are attracted to people just like their father/mother. Though it's true that people don't go consciously looking for these abusive partners, sometimes people with self-esteem issues seek out overbearing or charismatic (and maybe, it turns out, abusive) partners in an attempt to fill a void, or because they feel they don't deserve better. I agree that people who beat their loved ones need help (and jail time), but perhaps those who stay in abusive relationships need it even more?

    ReplyDelete