Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Heterosexism

So today at camp some child asked me which male counselor i thought was the cutest. I asked her why she assumed i liked boys.

I love asking this question. People get rather freaked out when I question their heterosexism. (Just in case anyone is unfamiliar with the term, heterosexism is the assumption that all people are heterosexual or a bias against homosexuals)

Now i have a really bad gay-dar. You'll have to tell me if youre gay because i just won't think of it. I blame this on media. My assumption that everyone is straight comes from tv, movies and commercials that don't accurately represent the homosexual population.

When was the last time you saw a commercial where two men sat down with their daughter and had a family dinner? Never. It's disgraceful. It teaches everyone that homosexuality isn't "normal" and that they can't have a "normal" family. Which is of course bull shit. So what the hell world? get it together!

No comments:

Post a Comment