Thursday, March 10, 2011

ET by Katy Perry

The lyrics in Katy Perry's new song ET include:

"They say be afraid, You're not like the others..."
"Infect me with your love and fill me with your poison. Take me... wanna be a victim, ready for abduction."

Not so subtly she's singing about the alien ET but honestly these lyrics glorify abusive relationships. I'm splitting hairs you say? Maybe. But I believe there is a fine line between singing an ironic song about loving an alien and wanting to "be a victim." Oh well, what can we expect from the woman who set our perception of lesbians back a decade? But seriously, what the hell?

2 comments:

  1. YES! Thank you! I'm so glad I'm not the only who picked up on this, every looks at me funny when I point it out to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a bit much. First off, Katy Perry was never saying she was a lesbian with her song "Kissed a Girl." She was talking about getting drunk and experimenting and just having fun. Nothing wrong with that.
    As for E.T., yes, it does sound like it's glorifying abusive relationships, but who says she's glorifying it?? Maybe she's trying to point out that these are bad things? And maybe it's just a freaking song about an alien that's supposed to sound kind of edgy? I mean, you can't pick everything apart. And we can't forget Katy Perry's Firework which is a wonderfully uplifting song. I doubt she's the type to try to glorify backwards things. I think she just...doesn't put as much thought into her songs as a lot of listeners do. :P

    ReplyDelete